Unfortunately, electrical fires in Oceanside homes are a frequent occurrence. These types of fires have been reported as one of the leading causes of fire and resulted in many home injuries and deaths. The good news is, your Oceanside home and loved ones do not have to become statistics. Popkin Electric, one of the top Long Island Electrical Companies, has compiled a list of reasons that electrical fires occur. Read on so you can avoid household electrical fires.
All Electrical Contractors in Nassau County will tell you that many electrical fires are caused by faulty electrical outlets and old, outdated appliances. Other fires are started by shorts in appliance cords or switches. To avoid these types of accidents, you shouldn’t ever use an appliance with a worn or frayed cord. This can send heat onto combustible surfaces like floors, curtains, and rugs that can start a fire right away.
Faulty Light fixtures
Many fires in Nassau County are caused by faulty light fixtures, lamps and light bulbs. If you accidentally install a bulb with a wattage that is too high for the lamps and light fixtures, you could be in danger of starting an electrical fire. To be safe, you should always check the maximum recommended bulb wattage on any lighting fixture or lamp and never go over the recommended amount.
Misuse of Extension Cords
Did you know that extension cords should only be used as a temporary measure of power? These cords are not meant to withstand a major power supply for a long period of time. Many people have started fires by plugging in major appliances into extension cords. If you do not have the correct outlets for an appliance that you own, call a commercial contractor who can install new ones for you in Oceanside.
Space Heaters in Bad Locations
Space heaters are a great way to carry heat with you wherever you need to go in Nassau County. However, sometimes people put them in the wrong locations. Space heaters should never be placed anywhere near combustible surfaces. Combustible surfaces include surfaces such as curtains, beds, clothing, rugs, couches, and chairs. If you own a coil space heater, you must be even more careful. The coils in these kinds of space heaters get so hot that they can almost instantly ignite any nearby flammable surface. If you do use space heaters, use the radiator-type that diffuses heat over the entire surface of the appliance. These are less likely to ignite flammable items, but should still be kept far away from them.
If your home in Oceanside Nassau is over 20 years old, you may have some outdated wiring. Outdated wiring in Nassau can cause major electrical fires. Oceanside homes that are on the older side are not equipped with the wiring capacity that is often used by electrical appliances today. Air conditioners, microwaves, computers, and other major appliances have caused damage to many older homes. Breakers should be triggered when circuits get overloaded by too much electricity, but outdated breaker boxes often have worn connectors that do not work. This can cause the entire electrical system to overload and start an electrical fire. If you need to get new wiring done in your home, you should call a Long Island electrician for a consultation for prices on updated electrical services.
If you would like more information about how you can avoid electrical fires, please call Popkin Electric today. We would be more than happy to discuss ways you can safely enjoy your appliances. Remember that your Oceanside home doesn’t have to be one of the many that have been destroyed by electrical fires. Our team of electricians in Suffolk County are here to ensure that you and your family stay safe and connected!
Oceanside is a hamlet and census-designated place (CDP) located in the southern part of the town of Hempstead, Nassau County, New York. The population was 32,109 at the 2010 census.
Originally known as South Bay, the English government established a township there in 1674 called Christian Hook, basing the name on the predominant religious affiliation of colonists in the area. Land development proceeded rapidly, and oyster sales took their place as a dominant force, with the local business “Mott’s Landing” becoming a favorite place to buy oysters.
In the nineteenth century, the town residents decided that “Oceanville” sounded better than “Christian Hook”: it was “Oceanville Oysters” that sold, and in 1864, the new name became official. However, there was already an Oceanville in New York, so “Ocean Side,” as two words, was adopted as the town’s name in 1890 (this despite it not actually fronting the Atlantic Ocean, which is located a few miles to the south. It is separated from the ocean by Reynolds Channel and other marsh islands, as well as the Long Beach Barrier Island).
The Oceanside Fire Department was established in 1902. Columbia Engine Co. #1, an old firehouse, still exists, and is located at the southwest corner of the triangle where Lincoln Avenue meets Long Beach Road.Learn more about Oceanside.
Here are some electrician-related links:
What do residential electricians do?
A residential electrician from Double G Electric can perform installations, maintenance, inspections, and repairs of almost any electrical component in your household.
Can you rewire a house without removing drywall?
The short answer is yes. In most cases, rewiring can be done with minimal intrusion. A professional at Double G Electric can tell you exactly what will need to be done to complete the job correctly.
Do electricians give free quotes?
Many electricians, including the professionals at Double G Electric will provide you with a free estimate for any job. Whether you need a light switch replaced or a new circuit breaker, Double G Electric can get the job done.
How much does an electrician cost?
Many electricians charge hourly with other costs like travel fees and materials on top of that. The total cost will depend on the complexity of the job, with many variables factoring into the complexity.
Is it possible for electricians to install solar panels?
Solar panels must be installed by master electricians to be compatible with your building’s structure, even though our wiring and electrical panels aren’t replaced by solar panels.